Hoppin’ Good Times!
Beer Blast for September 22, 2015
Born to Cook: A Candid Conversation with Jon Sliger
Worthy Brewing is pleased to announce the hiring of our new Executive Chef, Jon Sliger. More like ecstatic. Jon has everything we want. He’s a talented chef, a born leader, and a fastidious manager who knows how to have fun.
Jon has designed, built and owned restaurants. It’s in his blood. He’s a third generation chef who fondly recalls a youth spent growing, picking, drying, canning and pickling fresh fruits and veggies. He never even tasted store-bought bread until he was about 10.
For ten years Jon owned and operated the Hawk Creek Cafe in Neskowin, Oregon, where he honed his skills in the pizza cage. For another six years he owned Natalia’s here in Bend, where he showcased his love for Mediterranean and Southern Italy cuisine.
More recently he helped open Ten Below at the Oxford Hotel in Bend, as well as managing Johnny Carino’s and Red Robin. Both experiences taught him the art of making each guest feel special while serving a large volume of guests. More…
We’ve partnered on a series of volcanic-inspired beers for the Newberry National Monument’s 25th year! Newberry Eruption is a big, bold Imperial Red Ale that erupts with flavor and keeps you coming back for more. Loaded with Pacific Northwest hops, this beer strikes the perfect balance between brash and smooth.
$1 per bottle sold will be donated to Discover Your Forest, which supports programs for children and visitor services in the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests.
Look for it in your local bottle shop or independent grocer soon and get it while you can. This commemorative bottle is very limited!
Heart & Soul Series
Here’s the line up on the artisinal brews from our 5 bbl pilot system we’re now pouring at Worthy’s renown Cuckoo’s Nest bar: (Click here for a roster of Heart & Soul brews currently on tap.)
- Lucky Plucky Fresh Hop (sourced from Worthy’s hopyard)It doesn’t get any fresher than this. We hand picked over a dozen varieties of plump, ripe and juicy hops (including Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Meridian and more) from our Worthy hopyard and went to town. An exuberant floral nose with a touch of dankness. Sweet tart candy, orange citrus and a hint of pine on the tongue. And a true-to-terroir dry finish that just may produce an eye-flutter. A gift from our garden to you.
- Worthy Oktoberfest (lagered lovingly in RG Worthy’s Private Stash)It’s that time again to toast the joys of German-inspired lagers and klank your frothy mugs. In lieu of a chilly Bavarian cave, we lagered our brew for the last two months in R.G. Worthy’s Private Stash, a tank dedicated to light, crisp and refreshing beers. Brewed with imported malts, this is a rich, golden amber-colored lager that utilizes Oregon-grown and Hallertauer Mittelfruh-inspired Crystal and Santiam hops. We added French Oak spirals to enhance the creamy mouthfeel. The slightly sweet finish will leave you thirsty for more. But get it while you can. The beer that takes the longest to brew tends to run out the fastest.
- Big Sticky Fresh Hop (70 pounds of Cascades courtesy of Goschie Farms)This is The Big One. The Big Sticky. Where hop freshness speaks to hop power. We used an outrageous 70 pounds of freshly plucked Cascade hops, courtesy of Goschie Farms. And oh my did she deliver. That classic Cascade piney-citrus double tap to the nose, followed by a pungent punch of bittersweet mango-citrus to the tongue. If you couldn’t hop, skip and jump through the hopyards this year, this Big Freshie is your worthy substitute.
- Walk on the Wild Side
Made in collaboration with Beers Made By Walking. Inspired by a hike with Oregon Natural Desert Association in the Oregon Badlands Wilderness, just east of the brewery. Brewed with Belgian yeast, buckwheat, sage from our gardens & local honey from D&D Ranch. Bittered with yarrow. Light, crisp, refreshing with notes of sage, pineapple, and herbs.
- Peace Pipe Porter (with cocoa nibs)
- Sweet Ride Wit
- Batch 666 (our spooky Halloween libation)
- Altbier Ale (tastes like a lager but it’s not)
- Exuberance Session IPA (featuring X-hops courtesy of Indie Hops)
Hop Video Funnies
Worthy Hop-A-Bout 2015
Join us in our pursuit of new sensations as Worthy tours Goschie Farms and Indie Hops in the lush hoptopia that is the Willamette Valley.
Hops Gone Wild!
A slightly wacky inside view of what the mad scientists are cooking up at the OSU-Indie Hops aroma hops breeding program. More hops than hops!
Check out the hops pot at the end of the beer flavored rainbow. This is where the hops are grown, plucked and pelleted. From Goschie Farms in Silverton to Indie Hops in Hubbard, 5 miles down the road. Grab a chunk of that swaying hip hop back beat!
Worthy Brewing Co. | 495 NE Bellevue Dr. | Bend, Oregon
541.647.6970 | worthybrewing.com